Friday, August 15, 2008

A week to go....

We've got our visas, plane tickets, shots for the whole family (rabies, Japanese encephalitis, Hepatitis, Tetanus) and stacks of stuff we need to pack. I'm still preparing for my two graduate courses (journalism ethics and feature writing). I'm told the students at Nanjing University speak excellent English but I have no idea how much they know about American journalism. And I also have no idea if journalism as a democratic institution will make sense in the current Chinese political landscape.
Marcus will be attending a British School and is working on his writing and Hebrew before we go. His Mandarin is way ahead of mine but I'm trying to catch up with Rosetta Stone online. I'm bringing along his Torah portion and haftorah in print and audio so he can get an early start on bar mitzvah prep (June 26, 2010--save the date). The guys have discovered there's a golf driving range in Nanjing as well as two excellent (but pricey) golf courses nearby.
Nina is still working late into the night at Mt. Auburn but is making plans to study at an acupuncture college in Nanjing.
We'll be at the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai from Aug 24-27 and then off by train to Nanjing. We should be able to get mail through the University:
c/o Office of International Exchanges
Nanjing University
22 Hankou Road
210093, Nanjing
China

No comments: